Wednesday, October 25, 2006

XGL+Beryl+KDE=OMFG

All I can say is wow. If anyone out there has Kubuntu on a half-way decent system then go to this link.

It's a very simple process to get running (it's specifically for an ATI card but if you have an Nvidia card installed with the nvidia driver it should still apply) and it looks AMAZING. This is way past what I saw just a few months ago with the Kororra live CD. I've only been running it since last night but I haven't had any major crashes...some minor glitches but overall not bad. After spending some time with Vista I have to say I find Aeroglass to be laughable compared to what they're doing with Beryl. It's simply amazing AND there's a menu GUI for controlling the different effects (there's LOTS of different effects). I've got it running on my 64bit system (dubbed BlackAdder) and I haven't seen any significant slow down. Try this out if you can!!!! I'll try and post some screenshots soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger RZ said...

Have you tried it with FC6? Not a big advocate here for any specific Distro, but what got me both angry and very happy is that this Dell I use (Dimension 2400) Has an integrated Intel Video Card (don't remember which) seems to have no issue with Beryl and all the fun cool stuff, where my X200 on my HP DV8210US laptop has issues running beryl. I can get the driver .sh from ATI, but AIGLX is not supported by the proprietary driver... yet.
But I do agree, it is SWEET! :)

10:29 AM  
Blogger RZ said...

Have you tried it with FC6? Not a big advocate here for any specific Distro, but what got me both angry and very happy is that this Dell I use (Dimension 2400) Has an integrated Intel Video Card (don't remember which) seems to have no issue with Beryl and all the fun cool stuff, where my X200 on my HP DV8210US laptop has issues running beryl. I can get the driver .sh from ATI, but AIGLX is not supported by the proprietary driver... yet.
But I do agree, it is SWEET! :)

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home