Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Big 2

Let me rail against Microsoft and Apple for one moment...they are unrelated topics but ones that have been bothering me nonetheless.

Vista can be a royal pain in the ass. Case in point: having to constantly allow Firefox permission to run. Now, I'm all for added security especially when it comes to Windows but, 1)Once I've authorized a program to run, why should I then have to reauthorize it everytime thereafter? 2)Even this "security feature" of Vista doesn't work consistently. I installed Synergy on my system and failed to do so "as administrator" (the new Vista equivalent of running a program "as root"). It ran fine for a few days then all of the sudden...plop. Nothing. I tell it to run, I have to authorize it to run, and it appears to run but still does nothing. Reinstalling as administrator fixes the problem, sort of. Bringing us to 3) Now whenever a program (such as Firefox) needs authorization to run, my keyboard and mouse via Synergy won't work. I'm still at a loss as to why this is. Vista isn't suspending TCP/IP activity. As I can see that downloads are still running in the background). Perhaps since Synergy is an added program it gets suspended while Vista checks to see if another, completely unrelated program should run (it makes sense in a twisted, Windows sort of way). If I use my non-Synergy-attached-to-the-system-for-real mouse to click the box, Synergy comes back. Pretty crazy and very annoying.

Now, onto Apple. I have an iPod. If I had it to do over again I'd never have bought the damn thing. In two years it's been replaced twice and it looks like #3 is right around the corner. In the meantime, I've bought a Sandisk Sansa solid state 8gb player that is roughly the same size as a Nano and has the same storage space but runs me about $100 less for more features including: an FM radio (I won't use it but it's a feature), a miniSD slot that will take upto a 2gb card, true plug and play drag-your-mp3s-to-the-hard-drive-and-they-fucking-play functionality, a picture and video viewer (extra software needed) and a voice recorder. Once I get my iPod fixed I'll be using it as a portable hard drive. I wonder if there's firmware that's good for that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home